Tuesday, May 30, 2023

Rock Painting

This is another “hobby” I got into.  Compliments to my daughter who sent me a painted rock and then to my friend Miko who insisted we try to paint some ourselves.  Miko was much more of an artist, and sadly the first attempt was quickly scrapped! We kept the second attempt!

Somewhere during the COVID lockdown I got back into it.  I find it relaxing but not something I have a talent for.  Every time I sit down with good intentions I find myself wishing I had an ounce of talent or inspiration.  But…..it hasn’t stopped me from trying.  I found that if I traced an object I could transfer it to a rock with carbon paper or cut the tracing paper and Mod Podge it right to the rock.  Once painted I only needed to seal it with an outdoor sealant. 

Like everything it’s become an obsession once I get started.  Last Spring and Sumer I put rocks all around the complex I live in.  It was fun to see them moved around and most just disappeared completely.  I found out that some young girls were collecting them.  Their Mother said – oh – you're the Rock Lady.  She said I was the reason she had to buy rocks and paints for the girls.  (HA – I felt like a Rock Star!). 

After that I dug everything back out and did a bunch of Halloween Rocks.   I planned to dig everything back out again for Thanksgiving and Christmas but that didn't happen.   Once I put everything away to get ready for the Holidays, I never wanted to drag it all out again and make a mess.  

I did join a rock painting site on Facebook just so I can see what others are doing and possibly -  hopefully improve.  Like sending cards to friends, I've enjoyed leaving rock greetings around.  Unlike my Instagram sarcastic, anti-inspirational mesages, I can be positive sometimes.  

Unfortunately though I found some of my rocks reappearing and actually scribbled over with paint.  Obviously the hand of a young child or an adult with less talent than myself!   

So I put out some new rocks and I found neighbors complimenting me and admitted to collecting them.  I guess it's time to drag everything back out and see if anyone else wants to join in.   Maybe it's time to plan a rock-painting party.  Get some friends together with some wine and paint and see what we can come up with.    

 


No comments:

Post a Comment